December 5, 2012

Spirit Showdown -- Round 2 Recap

Hey guys, what’s up?  I’m guessing that a bunch of you are getting into the holiday spirit (or lamenting its mere existence and the contaminating effect it has on society and media at large).  And what better way to celebrate the season than with a much-needed update on the Spirit Showdown?

Now, don’t flay me with your trusted javelins just yet.  I’ve been cooking up some new stuff on the Showdown front, and if you’ve been keeping up you may have noticed it.  There’s a story arc a-brewing within the confines of that segment, and if things go as they have so far, the entire world -- and worse yet, the internet -- is facing a complete meltdown!  What’s a blogger to do?  You can bet I’ll have my hands full trying to figure out an answer, but time’s running out…and characters that I once considered allies may turn out to be the most dangerous of all!  Breathless gasp!

So yeah, if the original character (DO NOT STEAL!) angle isn’t doing it for you, rest assured that there IS something bigger going on in the long run, and if I can summon up the proper skills, I can give it a hopefully-satisfying conclusion.  That aside, I’ve prepared another four-minute recap to bring any newcomers up to speed on the “Speed Trio”.  Observe:


And of course, the recap on the “Power Trio” is still up and ready for viewing.  You can pop over there at your leisure and see that video if need be.  Alternatively, you can read the in-depth stuff on Cobalt, Shino, and FX whenever you’re ready -- or just place your votes at the bottom of this post, or once it appears on the sidebar in a day or two.

That aside, I want to take steps here and now -- while there’s a slight reprieve -- to open things up for at least SOME form of discussion.  As I said when I started this thing, I’m not just doing this to show off my super-duper characters or my so-so at best art.  This is a way to get people thinking about what they can do and want to do with their own work…or at least think about the things they like in a new light.  A good story, in my opinion, has a strong and definable spirit -- an essence, or an array of ideas and proofs that helps to give a story a genuine and unique feeling.  I think it’s something that is pretty easy to point out, when you think about it; to paraphrase Mr. Plinkett of Red Letter Media, “You may not have noticed, but your brain did.”  So I’ll go ahead and leave a question for you visitors to my virtual space:

What’s your spirit?

I would assume that there are a handful of would-be writing heroes who have my blog on virtual speed dial, so if you’re one of them (or have inexplicably come here by virtue of searches for sauerkraut), then tell all.  If you’ve got a story in mind, talk about its essence.  What makes it tick?  What makes it special?  What makes it your own, and your best?

And for you gamer-types, don’t think you’re off the hook either.  Even if you’re not actively writing a story, you still have easy access to tens, hundreds, or even thousands of them across at least a half dozen mediums.  So in your case, I’ll ask you this:

What kind of spirit gets you excited?

I’ve made my distaste for gritty stories known, but maybe that works for you.  Maybe there’s something you see in them that I don’t -- not just aesthetic and tonal choices, but the one-word essence that sums up everything that makes the tale what it is (I’d argue that the spirit of Looper, for example, is “selfishness”).  Basically, you can gab on about why you like the things you like; if you’re anything like me, writing about what you enjoy will give you a better perspective and appreciation of it.  Or just make you hate it more than the limits of human emotion and decency can allow.  Could go either way, really.

In any case, the stage is set.  There are six characters up, and four more to go.  The story arc is starting to motor.  Soon enough, the Hero of Heroes will be crowned.  But we’ve still got a ways to go before we reach that point.

In the meantime…


And that’ll do it for now.  See you guys around.

4 comments:

  1. Rhamy, I'd hate to sound like a wet blanket, but aren't those way too many characters and story hooks to coexist in the same narrative? Are you perhaps overburdening your story? I mean the guys sound cool but how can something like say, FX coexist with anything in the tale?

    That said, I would love to see the rest of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, did I not make it clear? These aren't ten characters all in one story; they're ten characters from ten different stories. I may be crazy, but not so crazy to put someone like FX in the same story as Ocelot V. I've tossed around the idea of a crossover between the ten of them, but as it stands I'm content with keeping them separated by some pretty big barriers. This feature is probably the only time you'll see them together -- and even then, in an incredibly limited capacity.


    So yeah, I don't have any intention of having them all fighting for the spotlight, either here or elsewhere. Does that clear things up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My bad, dude. It's just...I've fucked up with a doizen characters in one story before...I was hurt I'm tellin ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So it's a concern born from experience...fair enough. As far as I can tell, I don't think I'll have too much of a problem with a load of characters, buuuuuuuuuuuut I'll keep your warning in mind. I've made some pretty silly mistakes before in the past; in some cases, I have a hard time telling a good idea from a bad one.


    Such was the case with my famous BBQ sandwiches -- a disaster that very nearly had me branded as the world's most wanted chef. ("Chef" being a relative descriptor, of course.)

    ReplyDelete