March 3, 2013

Two games enter, one game leaves…

Well.  This is a unique situation.

I honestly can’t remember the last time something like this happened, if at all.  I’ve managed to finish two games -- two GREAT games, I might add -- within about a day of each other.  Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and Xenoblade Chronicles are both notches on my belt now, and it’s only natural that I give them both proper Let’s Discuss posts.  Problem is, I don’t know which one to tackle first.

On the one hand, I’ve been putting Xenoblade off for months now (for reasons I still can’t explain (besides laziness)), and having finished it I feel like I need to go over bits and pieces of it.  On the other hand, Revengeance is so damn good that even if it is on the short side, I’m already thinking of playing through it again…and since finishing it, the game’s been on my mind for an almost-unhealthy amount of time.  Either way, both games are much-needed respites from schlock like Final Fantasy 13-2 and DmC, and have helped give my palate a full scrub-down.  And it’s quite possible that these games -- one or even BOTH -- are good enough to make it into my personal and currently hypothetical Top Ten.  The only way to know for sure is to get these things written up and posted here on Cross-Up.

But which one gets the first swing?  Well, I think I’ll leave that up to you all.

Here’s what we’re going to do.  Whoever comments first on this post gets to decide which game will get a Let’s Discuss post first.  What will it be?  One of the greatest JRPGs of this generation?  Or the action game primed to become one of 2013’s best?  It’s all in your hands, readers -- so make it count!

Decide the destiny!  FIGHT!

4 comments:

  1. Gear up, format your Codec, and get that blade absurdly sharp. It's Metal Gear Rising time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it, Grahf. Rising it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn. Commented too late. Even then, I'd be torn between the two as well.


    Since it looks like you'll be tackling it, I look forward to Metal Gear Rising.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd almost argue that my upcoming post (or posts -- hard to say how long the end file will be) is almost redundant. I'm not going to say that Revengeance is the greatest game ever, but I will say that it's an important game for a number of reasons. Supporting it means supporting developer Platinum Games, whose example more people in the industry need to follow.


    For now I'll say this: one of the basic gameplay mechanics is the ability to run at double your normal speed, tuck yourself into a low baseball slide, knock an enemy off their feet, then activate your slow-motion cutting ability to slice apart foes while they hover helplessly above you, thereby allowing you to rip out their spine and crush it in your hand.


    I think I love this game.

    ReplyDelete