December 17, 2015

The Birds and the Ps


Okay, if we’re being totally honest?  This post actually doesn’t have anything to do with birds.  But I wanted to have a cute and pun-filled title to start things off, so I figured I might as well.

Also, it still starts with a B.  And guess which recently-announced character for a certain magical fighting game also has a name starting with a B?  That’s right -- Billy Kane has been confirmed for King of Fighters XIV.  Get ready for some super-sticky shenanigans.

Right.  But seriously, though.  Bayonetta in Smash Bros.  That’s amazing.  When I saw her revealed, I actually had my breath taken away.  I guess that’s the power of an Umbran Witch.


I’m going to keep this post brief (for once), because I figured it’s time for a bit of housekeeping.  Obviously, I’ll be talking about more games in the days to come; The Witcher 3 is up next, and if all goes well, the final game of the PS4nukkah series will follow suit.  Admittedly there’s one other thing that I have planned to go up, but I think I’ll hold off on that.  Part of the reason is that it’s kind of an incendiary topic, and I want to make sure I’ve got my words in just the right order before letting that one into the wild.  And of course, part of the reason is because my assumption is that very soon, I’ll be seeing Star Wars: The Force Awakens.  And you know what that means: a post on it.  Because I’m sure nobody will be doing that.

As of writing, I’ve read one review and seen one video review.  I won’t spoil anything (and what a world we live in, when we have to be afraid of reviews spoiling opinions), but to put it covertly?  It does the one thing that I hoped it wouldn’t do, but compensates by doing the thing I hoped it would do.  Draw your own conclusions from that.  I know I will if/when I go see it; the video review came from a guy who more or less gave Jurassic World the A-OK, and you know how that went with me.  Hopefully we won’t have a repeat performance.  And hopefully, I won’t have to do multiple posts on that.  I wouldn’t put it past me, though.  Future Voltech is a secret asshole.


Really looking forward to seeing the practical uses of this thing. 

In any case, I thought I’d talk about a couple of other things while I’m here.  In an effort to broaden Cross-Up’s horizons/appeal/fanbase, I’ve been trying to branch out using various platforms.  I’ve been slacking on my blog-commenting, which is still something I find shameful -- but to compensate, I’ve been directing effort elsewhere.  Progress has been slow yet steady; I’m on TV Tropes more often than I was before (since I was active there in the past), and I’m trying to be an active participant in DeviantArt stuff instead of completely ignoring everything it has to offer.  I’m still notable enough on Destructoid to be a favorite writer among some major community figures -- and a while back, one regular made fanart of several major players, including me.  I guess this is what it’s like to be popular.

There’s still more to be done, I know, and I’m working on that.  One of the things I need to work on is my Patreon campaign whatchamacallit.  It’s kind of been sitting there for a while, in all honesty, partly because I need to figure out A) its particulars, and B) how to actually bring people to it.  The process is probably a lot easier than I make it out to be, so I’d bet it’s a matter of buckling down and committing.  Speaking of, I don’t think I’ve formally introduced it here on the blog (I did on DToid, at least).  There’s not much to say that isn’t there on the actual page, though, so you can have a look there for details.  It’ll be there, and in the coming days I’ll see if I can install a Patreon button/link to the blog sidebar so I can use that bulletin board bar to promote something else.  Maybe a certain something related to The Last of Us and Joel Grumpybuns…?


It’s also worth noting that -- in an effort to NOT be a technological and cultural clod -- I’ve started up a Pinterest page for the blog.  I can tell you right now that that’s gonna be an endeavor; up until about a week or two ago, I figured that Pinterest and Instagram were basically the same thing.  Imagine my surprise when I find out that it, too, can be a useful platform for would-be writing heroes.  But as of this post, I just barely know how to use it.  Info, research, and tutorials are online, sure, but it’ll be a good while before anything comes from it.  Probably.

Still, I think that Pinterest could be a powerful tool once I learn how to use it.  Is there a lot to learn?  Maybe.  But on the other hand, it’s an avenue I haven’t really tapped.  I probably SHOULD have tapped it by now, but the important thing is that steps will be taken in the days, weeks, and months to come.  I’m at a point where I both want and need to take this blog to the next level, and if some virtual ooparts can make that happen, then fine by me.  Let’s go.

With that said, I still have more planned.  My intent is to roll out a new format for the blog sometime next year (early, hopefully); the Blogger platform makes that process simple enough, but it’s worth noting that it’ll probably demand some new art assets from me.  I might have some unused stuff stocked, but I can think of one character that should probably show up on the header.  Just as well, though; if I can create more assets and/or learn some new techniques -- particularly with certain programs -- then it’ll help me out in more ways than one.


And even though it’s probably way too early to mention this, I’ll go ahead and toss it out there: my plan is to start producing video content in (ideally) the near-future.  It’s not going to be some major production or anything, though; I don’t really need that for my purposes.  Essentially, if you’ve seen any MovieBob videos, you know what I’m shooting for.  But if I’m going to do it, I want to do it right -- which means a level of work and effort that belies the five-minute average of his catalog.  My plan is to create a “prototype video” to see how I can work these things out, so you can look forward to that.  Hopefully.

And of course, I’m going to keep writing blog posts.  I would’ve guessed that by this time, I’d be doing posts on Kamen Rider Drive like I did for Gaim last year -- as a sort of holiday treat -- but other stuff took precedent/time slots…like me talking about a slew of improbably-buxom monster girls.  Just as well, though; it just means that I’ll have material for next year.  And theoretically, material that’ll last me for a whole year.  But I’ll talk more about that another time.

Whatever the case, that’s about all I’ve got for now.  Gonna keep writing, plugging away, etc.  I hope you’ll stick around to see what I have to offer, because if my guess is right, I can offer A LOT.  Until then?  In case I don’t get the chance, Happy Holidays.

And PLEASE don’t let The Force Awakens suck.  Though I guess I'll always have other stuff to fall back on.


Shut up, it's a deep and meaningful show.

No comments:

Post a Comment