November 12, 2017

RE: Re: Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony


Okay, so I think I came up with a workaround for uploading Danganronpa images without spoiling myself to high heaven.  I’ve got the PC version of Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony, so all I have to do is take direct screenshots as events transpire, and I’m at no risk of tapping the forbidden knowledge.  Ergo, now I’m free to use this picture of Tenko’s shit-eating grin without consequence.  Also, I remembered that Soundcloud is a site that exists, and thus I can head there to listen to the game’s OST.  And thanks to that, I don’t have to worry about video thumbnails/titles that try to spoil me on upcoming content.  On that note: YouTube, what the hell?

This is a lot of effort to put into not learning about a game.  Just as well, though.  Because 1) Danganronpa V3 is kind of blowing my mind right now.  And 2) get this game.

Or, you know, watch an LP.  That works, too.  But also, get this game.



This is going to be a short post, because I have to provide setup as well as reenter Cloak and Dagger Mode to protect readers from spoilers.  (Also I’m sleepy and my legs kind of hurt.)  So here’s the rub: I think that I’m going to keep doing more DR posts in the future.  If you’re reading this blog, and by extension all (potential, but likely) DR posts that follow, then I’m going to work under the assumption that you’re familiar with the content therein and thus don’t need to worry about spoiler warnings.  Alternatively?  I’ll assume that you have no interest in playing/watching DRV3 for yourself, and are therefore OK with me going over that game -- and the others in the series.  Fine with me.  You do you.

The reason why I’m thinking about doing more DR posts is because I’ve been struck with a bolt of inspiration.  I’ve played a lot of games in my life -- with many more to come, assuming I continue to live and don’t die in a freak emu accident -- but I’m hard pressed to think of any that have left me as floored as DRV3.  And as a reminder: I was floored by what happened at the end of the first Class Trial, i.e. Chapter 1 of the game.  Chapter 2 has topped that by a significant margin.

To put it a different way, here’s a reenactment of my reaction post Chapter 1.


Here’s a reenactment of my reaction post Chapter 2.


Like, I wasn’t actually screaming, but I fought the urge to.  Externally, at least; internally, all of my thoughts were replaced with AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH while the revelations played out.  It’s a surprise that comes right out of nowhere and hits you with the force of a greased-up meteor.  I’m not going to say what happened or who bit it in this post, but let’s just say I’m super-butthurt about DRV3 offing my waifu in the worst yet best way possible.  I guess that’ll teach me to ever open my heart or love anything.

To be fair, though, it’s not as if I think the game is flawless, or that it’ll top any Game of the Year lists.  I have yet to sort out all my thoughts and feelings, but I’d argue that -- taken solely as a game -- DRV3 isn’t what I’d call mechanically complex.  Outside of mid-trial minigames (don’t ask), it’s not the most interactive of titles; most inputs will be to advance the text, which I’d assume is a hard sell for anyone who’s not already down with the franchise or the genre.  Also, I hope you love Japanese-style humor, because that’s here in spades.  And clubs.  And diamonds.  And hearts.  And jokers.


But other than a few quibbles here and there, I’m happy with the game.  Shit just keeps going off the rails more and more, and I love it.  I have no idea where the game’s going next or what’ll happen, but I keep reminding myself in a deadpan tone that “This is only Chapter 2” and that it can get even more insane.  Somehow.  Like, I’m starting to suspect that this batch of Ultimate high school students isn’t even on earth anymore, which begs the question of whether or not the blue marble even exists in this canon anymore.  But I guess I’ll find out soon, and I hope you guys are willing to take this journey with me.

And that’s about where I stand.  More DRV3 stuff incoming -- but before that, I might be able to get in a post on Sonic Forces.  Against my better judgment, I watched a full LP/uploaded stream of the game, and…well, I have some thoughts.  I’ll get to them soon.  Among other things.

Until next time, then.  Take care.  Thank you for pla--


Oh, now what the hell is this?





Okay, real talk: after picking up the scorched remains of my exploded brain from the ground, I got a huge smile on my face.  See, I just so happened to pick up Tekken 7 again the other day.  And now I have an excuse to level up my Miguel.  For obvious reasons.


Can’t.  HardlyWait.

No comments:

Post a Comment